This output consists of a review, analysis and evaluation of existing, prevailing teaching practices that incorporate GIS in schools and an exploration of evidence related to alternative, innovative, pedagogical approaches to teaching with GIS.
As a result of the review and analysis of findings, a series of recommendations are provided to inform the development of the teacher professional development course and toolkit of innovative pedagogical approaches to teaching with GIS and connect to the case studies of outcomes.
Content of this report:
- The GI Pedagogy project
- Digital Competences
- Teaching with GIS
- Approaches to teaching with GIS
- Training teachers for GIS
Toolkit of Innovative Pedagogical Approaches for Teaching with GIS, including the GI Pedagogy Framework and Model (IO2)
The second outcome of the project is this manual, created to help you as a teacher to implement GIS with the appropriate pedagogy in your teaching practice.
Content of the toolkit:
- GI Pedagogy – project summary
- What does this toolkit contain?
- What is the power of GIS?
- Setting out your pedagogical intent
- Adapting Rosenshine’s 10 principles
- Introducing our GI Pedagogy model
- Ideas for embedding the use of GIS in your subject pedagogy
- GIS is the perfect vehicle for teaching you how to teach
- What is powerful pedagogy for GIS use?
- Building on the GI Learner aims
- The Concept Cube
- Coda: COVID-19
- References & further reading
A teaching model to raise awareness of sustainability using geoinformation
This is an article summarising the main project outcomes published on the UNED Journal: Puertas Aguilar, M.A., Conway, B., De Lázaro Torres, M.L., De Miguel González, R., Donert, K., Linder-Fally, M., Parkinson, A., Prodan, D., Wilson, S. & Zwartjes, L. (2022).
A teaching model to raise awareness of sustainability using geoinformation. Espacio, Tiempo y Forma. Serie VI. Geografía 15, 23-42. http://doi.org/10.5944/etfvi.15.2022.33687
Article the year book De Aardrijkskunde (Flemish Teachers Association, VLA)
As part of dissemination this article was published in the 2022 year book of the VLA.
It is a resume of the project and the outcomes.
La geoinformación en la educación para la sostenibilidad integrando los principios de Rosenshine
A book of case-study examples using the Gi Pedagogy step model and framework.